January 12, 2021

Meeting Agenda


Coming soon.

 

Meeting Minutes


Attendees: Fatimah Ali, Jessica Renovales, Charmaine Jacobs, Ellen Bolotin, Laura Caito, Jessica Flores, Krystal Linton, Nia R. Hooper-Mason, Wanda Chong, Grace Reyes, Tameka Soso, Tiffany Taylor, Jessica Gaspard, Maggie O’Neill, Alicia Dun, Jo iPhone, Tanya Messado, Jordan Feigenberg (?), Saniya Richards

Note: Mr. Espinoza emailed this morning to notify the SLT that he was stepping down. Charmaine mentioned that a replacement must be in place before the next SLT meeting (see addendum)

Ellen called the meeting to order at 4:08 pm.

      • WELCOME
        • Ellen Bolotin welcomed everyone to the meeting.
        • A reminder was stated: only members can speak unless recognized by the co-chairs. Parents and teachers not on SLT can email questions or write them in the chat, but with a robust agenda, we may not be able to get to them all.
      • MEETING MINUTES
        • December Meeting Minutes – motion moved to approve, motion seconded and approved
      • TEACHER REPRESENTATIVE
        • Mr. Espinoza emailed this morning to notify the SLT that he was stepping down from his SLT Teacher Representative role…see attached.
        • Wanda Chong stated an election must be held and she will inquire with the Election Committee regarding their availability. SLT is not required to do anything in this process.
        • Charmaine Derrell Jacob encouraged Wanda Chong to check the A655 to ensure the election of a new teacher representative is within adherence to those guidelines and protocols.
        • An election must be held and a new Teacher Representative must be elected prior to the next SLT Meeting on February 9th, 2021. Charmaine asked if the Election could be expedited as we may have another meeting in January.
      • SLT SCHEDULE
        • Extra Meetings
          • Mandatory training to be completed in January 2021
            • January 26th @ 4:00 – 6:00 pm
            • Includes a video and questionnaire
        • SLT CEP & Assessment Data Meeting February 23rd @ 4:00 – 5:00 pm
        • SLT Culturally Responsive Curriculum March 23rd @ 4:00 – 5:00 pm
        • Ellen will set up a recurring Zoom link for the SLT to use
      • Community Trauma Resources/Outreach/Response
        • Principal Ali stated the broad plan is to address the tragedy of this severity we want to make sure we support the adults. This is too sensitive. There is an on-going NYPD investigation and out of respect to the family and privacy, the way it’s being handled is we are not discussing the details.
        • The plan is to support parents and the adults in the building who work with the children so if they need to utilize the resources in place whether to speak with a trained mental health care professional to help them process the tragedy, the pandemic, etc., and other needs.
        • We want to be very careful how we proceed to protect our community and not to sensor voices and how we mitigate/minimize those risks
        • The goal is to provide resources for people individually as crises arise we respond to it
        • Brooklyn North Borough Safety Director – he is called upon to support the school in these circumstances along with the District Superintendent.
        • The Parent Community have the same resources NYC Wealth or Guidance Counselor Karen, Social Worker: Ann School Psychologist: Ms. Skinner, Social Worker Ann Principal Ali, Assistant Principal Renovales
        • We are not talking about this topic in the classroom with young children as we do not feel this is inappropriate. We will continue to share
        • Protocol Ali started with staff – if a child says something about the tragedy or something you weren’t anticipating (some playground talk that then comes into your living room), in the classroom context, Teachers are asked to use the structure we have in place is to affirm what the child says and the feelings of the child. I understand why you would feel sad when we have these big feelings, it is important we tell an adult. I would love to talk to you privately because I want to learn more about how I can support. We don’t want to retraumatize and we don’t want to traumatize children who didn’t know about the
        • 01.09.2021 – Circle for the Parents of Ms. Noel’s class
        • Individual outreach from Guidance Counselor, Parent Coordinator, and Leadership Team to Parents of Ms. Noel’s class
        • Ellen asked Principal Ali to speak more to the Care Team. How does a parent go about finding their email addresses or contacting them otherwise? Structures of the Care Team Resources – will include names and email addresses in the slideshow. Principal Ali will also email this information to the SLT to post.
        • Jessica Flores shared that based on her conversations with Kindergarten Parents they do not want any type of focus, description or anything remotely addressing how we lost Olivia and her Mom. As a community we have to heal, we have to learn how to process this and at the same time this is an event that affects our community yet it’s so tragic and the children are so young it really seems that people don’t want that. We are experiencing losses in our community everyday. We have other children who lost parents recently and given what’s happening in our City there is a potential for further loss, and we in the PTO are exploring more loss and coping strategies. We are going to take on helping our community cope with these losses that are not stopping and we’re continuing to feel this loss. We want to make sure that we are really leaning into the loss and trauma that our families are feeling at this time.
        • Principal Ali shared these resources:
          • Child Mind Institute partnership
            • Jessica Flores – they come at a cost. They are wonderful and expensive. At the same time, their free programming/workshopping is so worthwhile.
          • NYC Well
            • Therapists outside of school support
  • COMMUNITY

Creating more spaces for community and connection. Prior to the tragedy, the PTO was really focusing on as well as the Parent Reps were pivoting towards.

As we adapt we are focusing and pivoting to community building re: space for children, space for parents, and for parents with children/families to connect that doesn’t feel burdensome!

    • PS9 Walk
      • Leah is spearheading and interested in kicking off this effort on Rev Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Monday, January 18, 2021 @ 10:30 am) in Mt. Prospect Park. We show up, have coffee, parents and families walk and talk.
      • Frequency 1 – 2X per month
      • Open Invitation to all to be in community together
      • Laura Caito and Jessica Flores – the purpose is for us to reconnect and children to play as well as navigate friendships on their own versus parent led
    • Art Show – “PS9 Community Art Gallery”
      • Create an art gallery near the school on the fencing
      • Students who are not physically in school can mail in their artwork
      • All ages can participate
      • Drop-off box
      • Laminate artwork and install on fencing around the school as well as interior of school yard
      • Create a PS9 Gallery Art Show can live for the the remainder of the semester
      • Ali supports this idea and can connect us with school facilities and share it with Ms. Ruiz
      • Teachers came up with this idea and shared it 7 days ago at the PTO Meeting
      • Jessica Flores loves this idea because this is a great opportunity to partner with Teachers!
      • Consider to start the Community Art Gallery on Underhill as all Teachers enter and exit the school building through the main entrance.
    • Talent Show
      • To expand our learnings and outcomes from The Nutcracker to future events i.e. Talent Show, etc.
  • Cultural Responsiveness, Black History Month and Beyond
    • Last SLT Meeting prior to Black History Month
    • We should have specific goals for Black History Month – what are we looking for in our celebrations?
    • Ali met with the Grade Leaders on Friday, January 8th to discuss what they did in prior years and their thoughts for this year. How can we put this together in a digital way
      • K – Biographies of famous African-American leaders, students share their video
      • 1 – Grade book memoir, student lead – I, I AM, grade writing piece, students select the leader or visionary that they would like to present
      • 2 – Celebrate the arts diaspora or Harlem Renaissance
      • 3 – Non-fiction output digital quilt – memoir incorporate the different pieces together
      • 4 – Afro-Latino influences beyond the traditional choices
      • 5 – Social Justice, post-civil war, reconstruction – output = podcast
    • Making amendments to existing curricula already in place ie. non-fiction work in reading and writing
    • School-wide/grade-wide goals for February
    • Assembly
    • What is the common theme for these celebrations so we can connect them more tightly this year? Teachers are thinking about how to use and leverage the curricula that’s in place in terms of Teachers College and think about marrying that with some of the celebrations that they’re interested in pushing forward. The extra twist is how can they put this together in a digital way?
    • Soso – 3rd grade team wants to focus on lesser celebrated African Americans to ensure we’re not celebrating the same six. Planning opportunities to share the stories of people they may not have heard of; hearing some new stories so that students are excited about sharing said stories and really want to highlight some new faces.
    • Ali mentioned Sarah Smith Garnet should be included on all grade menu of icons as she’s the first Black woman to become a Public School Principal in Brooklyn.
    • Ali shared Where we’re going next with PS9 – from a deep dive into Trauma Informed Instruction and Equity into the Culturally Responsive Curricula in stages. On Febraury 5th planned Professional Development with one of the TC Coaches Arlen, is typically a K-2 Staff Developer, and Ali requested she open it up to K-5 as she’s going to be doing Social Justice Work with the Teachers. Do a deep interrogation into their identities first. The goal is for this work to be transformative for the Teachers. In March they will look at the identity activities, then build upon them to include what does it look like to take an everyday lesson plan and integrate it into what we currently in place and evolve it into something more relevant for the students we serve? Who is in your classroom?
    • A virtual quilt is a file that someone at Teachers Pay Teachers designs a template that has a format for a slide for each person and the slide focuses on a hero and the specifics of his/her journey and then all components are compiled into the childrens’ collaboration of work and the students can click and move along the slide/square for each person that looks like a digital patchwork quilt as each square represents a famous African-American and gives specifics of his/her story.
  • CEP and Assessments
    • Two types of assessments:
      • Exact Path January 11th – 29th
        • 25 – 70 minutes
        • Within 2 days the assessments can be conducted
        • Data for Reading and Math
        • Ali is looking to have the data prior to the February 26th meeting
        • Should have data by February
      • Reading Running Records
        • Occurs multiple times per year
        • Due at January EOM
        • Should have data by February
      • No support needed from SLT
      • Current and comparative data should be prepared and available for review by SLT in February prior to SLT Meeting on February 23rd
      • We can review two data points: assessment results for this round and growth
  • Budget
    • Registration Loss and DOE Outreach
      • Ali will reach out to Jessica Flores regarding this matter
      • SLT Parent Reps will lend our voices to support the PTO
      • Best case scenario would be that all schools are forgiven for any debt accrued due to COVID; that would be the goal of any advocating that happens outside of the school or with parent leadership. If that happens that would save schools from carrying that debt forward into future years.
      • As a result of COVID, many families left NYC and removed their children from NYC DOE Schools. This translates into Registration loss which becomes a deficit and deficit has to get paid back
      • Any debt that can be forgiven
        • What/how much is the debt?
        • A petition for debt forgiveness: take the facts, talk about it as a parent/parent leader and circulate amongst District Leadership, CEC, elected officials, etc.
        • This year we will miss a pretty big mark due to the significant registration loss and has an adverse impact on if and what we a parent leadership will be able to offer to our school community
    • Practice Makes Perfect Update
      • Ali needs support in getting the word out. We wanted to offer to everyone however we started small to ensure we had the capacity to do more. We started with K-2, Practice Makes Practice was to offset some of the struggles children were having at home from 2:30p – 6:30p with homework support. We started with 18 students. Communication was shared today to expand the Practice Makes Perfect free resources to grades 3 – 5.
      • It’s for support with Reading (ELA), Math, and or general Technology. Generally, the sessions are 30 minutes.
      • The communication has a link to capture student information and then a live tutor joins a homework support session
      • Parents can reach out and Teachers can recommend students
      • Ali wants the number of students using this free resource up from 18 students to reach more students
    • Instructional Technology Coaches Update
      • Create this culture of data. Having the Coaches support and create quality instruction based on data is important.
      • There will be cycles of support
      • The other goal that they are helping the school to work on is student engagement and using technology to do that. Part of the work is they will visit the classrooms with Principal Ali and she will debrief with them to talk about ways that we can enhance the experience from the lens of the observer and how technology can help us do that. Then there will be cycles of support where they develop a mutually beneficial time to talk about some of those tools we can implement right away that will have high impact for how lessons are delivered using the technology that we know we really didn’t have the training for back in the spring. With the help of Instructional Technology Coaches, we will strengthen the practices Teachers had to learn on their own.
      • How do the Teachers access that? It will happen in stages as we are unable to support all Teachers simultaneously. Ali surveyed the Remote Teaching Team first. When the support is tailored it is informed by the voice of the Teacher and Principal.
  • Disaster Preparedness
    • Laura was being sarcastic when she added this!
    • Yes, drills are scheduled and taking place. Anytime there is a crisis it typically involves NYPD or NYFD. In every crisis, the Principal has to report the incident to two people: Superintendent and Safety Borough Director.
  • EDI Update
    • Next meeting: Wednesday, January 13, 2021
  • Pen Pals Update
    • One school in Equador is a possibility, but more should be found. Or this could be an initiative between remote and blended learning.
  • Enrichment Hour Update
    • 162 registrants and 207 seats filled
    • 11 scholarship seats
    • Spanish (Espáñate) $60 has the lowest registration with only 27 students registered, 4 unclaimed scholarship seats, may have to condense into grade bands, 4/5th grade very under enrolled
    • BAX: 4 confirmed class (creative Movement, all 3 drama classes), 46 registered, 5 unclaimed scholarship seats, dance classes may have to be cancelled
    • S’cool Sounds: 3 confirmed classes, 49 registrations, will probably condense the two jazz and two recorder classes
      • We may have to combine grade bands to meet minimums
      • 4 scholarship seats
    • Kiddie Science $80 have 3 classes full (K-2) = 41 registered, 2 unclaimed scholarship seats, 3/4/5th may have to be combined
    • Drama classes are almost full
    • If anyone needs a scholarship, email: scholarship@PS9brooklyn.org
    • At least 12 – 14 after school classes
      • Most classes have a 12 – 20 maximum census
      • All classes are offered between 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
  • Wellness Update
    • Workshop approved for Talking So Children Will Listen has been approved and now must be scheduled.

Meeting adjourned 6:10 pm