Remote Learning Attendance
As a school, we are responsible for tracking student engagement. Please support us by ensuring your child logs on to Google Classroom daily.
- Students can access online experiences starting at 8:40 am, Monday through Friday.
- Teachers are available daily, Monday through Friday, for feedback for their class and any questions the student might have.
Remote Learning Family Guidelines
Families and Students
As you know, providing students with a quality learning experience has been our singular focus as we launch a new school-wide platform and transition to remote learning. We are using this moment in time to capture an opportunity to leverage our collective capacities and deepen our 21st Century learning instructional practices. As we refine our approach to curriculum, we have also decided to expand access for all students to include them selecting cluster ‘enrichment’ classrooms that are simply recreational and interest-based in addition to their assigned clusters. We know that this transition will strengthen our collaboration with one another and all of you. We will be using Google Classroom as our school-wide platform.
We are including the student’s online schedules in detail (see below) to provide structure for the day. It is up to all of us to ensure students understand that school is in session–remotely. Remote learning provides an opportunity for students and teachers to remain connected and engaged to course content while working from locations outside the physical school environment. Our goal while transitioning to remote learning is to keep students on track, and provide further opportunities, develop interest and deepen skill sets using technology across all content areas. Students will return to PS9 having lived a unique educational experience.
In order to best support the continuity of learning for all our PS9 students, we have developed a PS9 Google Classroom platform that will provide students with instruction daily in core subject areas. The grading policy will remain the same in relation to alignment with report cards (level 1-4). The teachers will be able to grade students: Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies, Spanish (Dual Language classes), and clusters.
Parent / Guardian Roles and Responsibilities
Please provide ongoing support for your child by:
- Check PS9brooklyn.org daily for schoolwide announcements.
- Establishing routines and habits that support their success
- Ensure that students are adhering to appropriate behavior on the web
- Monitor communications from your child’s teachers
- Defining a comfortable space for your child to work
- Beginning and ending each day with a check-in
- Taking an active role with your child’s daily learning process
- Communicate directly with your child’s teacher on the google classroom platform or by email
- Establishing times for quiet and reflection
- You may reach out to our Parent Coordinator Monday-Friday from 8am-3:30pm by email CDerrell@schools.nyc.gov
Student Roles and Responsibilities
- Have fun exploring a new way to learn and connect!
- Find a comfortable place in your home to do your work
- Try your best to complete the assignments and learning activities designed by your teacher
- Ask your teachers questions if you don’t understand the work and or the feedback
- Comply with school internet safety policy. Remember your time online is for learning.
- Review teacher feedback and click on ‘stream’ daily to see teacher announcements
- Work with your parents (as needed) for support with your class work.
|Students log in time, check in with posted assignments and/or teacher feedback from the day prior.||
|Science and Social Studies
Social Emotional Learning Fridays
Students will complete an enrichment activity from a specialty class
|Students MUST access their regularly scheduled cluster classes. These will be graded.
-Go to “hamburger” (upper left corner of the window: “3 lines”) and click on Classes
-View Stream tab for announcements
-View Classwork tab for assignments
*Enrichment- you can also access a cluster you do not regularly have at another time during the day to complete the posted activities. (However these are recreational)
|Students Work Independently on posted assignments in Google classroom.||See Classwork Tab for your daily assignments
Students can view feedback within assignments in the form of comments or in the Stream as whole class feedback.
Urban Glass – PS9 Art Partner
While the UrbanGlass studios remain closed, our staff has been working on some free online programming, including an at-home mosaic tutorial in which teaching artist Courtney McCloskey demonstrates how to make your own beautiful mosaic artwork using cardboard, paper, sea glass and shells. We hope that this video might bring some creative respite and inspiration to your students.
We’ve also collected a list of community resources on our website to share during this time.
S’Cool Sounds – PS9 Music Partner
This spring (right before school closure) we piloted a new music program for Grade 2. The dedicated and creative educators of S’cool Sounds have continued to engage and entertain our students during Remote Learning. Check out video recordings of some of the lessons offered by Mr. Ru to our students.
March 30 – Ya Cannae Shove Your Granny off a Bus!
April 6 – Senua de Dende
April 20 – Ke Ke Kule
April 27 – Barramundi
May 4 – Mr. Ru Teaches a Scale
May 11 – Mr. Ru makes a glass xylophone
May 18 – S’cool sounds plays Senua de Dende
June 8 – Mr Ru teaches a movement game
June 15 – Mr Ru sets a breath control contes
June 22 – Mr Ru teaches how to make castanets
Online Tutoring Resources
Through the New York Public Library, students can receive one-on-one free online homework help from one-on-one tutors, daily from 2–11 PM. Tutors are available in English and Spanish, from early elementary through high school grades, in core subject areas. Video content and other resources are also available 24 hours a day. Families will need a New York Library card to access this service, and can apply for a card online.