Dear PS9 Community,
I hope this message finds you well. We are excited to welcome our students back to school buildings on Monday, September 13, 2021! We are confident that this will be a successful school year and in preparation, here is some key information:
- Below is the DOE Home Health and Safety Guide for families, which includes the latest health and safety precautions that will be in place to provide a safe and healthy in-person learning experience for all students. Translations will also be available at https://www.schools.nyc.gov/docs/default-source/default-document-library/doe-homecoming-health-and-safety-guide
- As previously shared, our school will return to 8:20-2:40 p.m. Specific information on drop-off and pick-up locations for each grade has been provided via our school’s Konstella communication platform. Please email CDerrell@schools.nyc.gov for Konstella access.
- Registration is continuing this week and class lists will be shared by September 10th.
- General School Supply List for 1st – 5th https://docs.google.com/document/d/12cy7bDr-sggg_o-LCo9F3-Fip4yggxD6/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=118284754488887678531&rtpof=true&sd=true
- We will be holding a virtual community meeting on September 10th to review key information and address any questions you may have. The meeting time will be shared. In the meantime, and throughout the year, the DOE will continue to provide updates with information about health and safety protocols in our schools, important changes to academic policy, supports and services for students and families, and more on the website here: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-year/school-year-2021-22
NYC Student Account and Important Forms:
Families must give consent for COVID-19 testing, view report cards, update address and contact information through your child’s New York City Schools Account (NYCSA) Breakfast, lunch, and after school meals are free for all New York City public school students. Although students no longer need to apply to receive free meals, we do encourage families to complete the online Family Income Inquiry form so that our school can receive funding for the program.
Face coverings, physical distancing, and daily health screenings:
Mandatory use of face coverings must be enforced for all individuals (unless they have a medical exemption) while on school property, on school buses, and on any school-sponsored transportation, regardless of the individual’s COVID-19 vaccine status. We will be following the suggested 3 feet physical distancing throughout the school building where possible. In addition, Students and school-based staff can or cannot report to school based on their results of the following questions in the NYCDOE’s Daily Health Screener. You can save this link to your phone for easy access during arrival. If a student fails a health screening or shows symptoms of COVID-19, the student will be assessed by the nurse on site. If it is confirmed that the student is showing symptoms of COVID-19, the guardian of the student must be immediately contacted and advised to pick up the child. If the guardian cannot be reached, the school must contact the emergency contacts on the student’s NYC account and or Operoo account.
School COVID-19 Testing:
Regular COVID-19 testing provides school communities and public health experts with valuable information. Every school, starting in grade 1, will have 10% of their consented, unvaccinated student population selected twice a month for ongoing random surveillance testing.
“9 Days of Spirit” school-wide back to school events:
- September 13th: First Day of school: Dress to impress!
- September 15th: Crazy for Kindness Day: wear mismatched socks, hair or outfit
- September 17th: Favorite Color Day: dress in your favorite color
- September 20th: Favorite Book Day: show off your favorite book or story to read
- September 22nd: Favorite Animal Day: be creative, bring in pictures of your favorite animal or dress like it
- September 24th: When I Grow up Day: dress like what you want to be when you grow up
- September 27th: Heritage Day: show off where your family is from
- September 29th: Be a Rainbow in Someone’s Cloud Day: wear your rainbow colors
- October 1st: School wide “Me Tee Day”
Reminder New Family Meet and Greet: Saturday September 18th at 10:00 am in the PS9 garden on Bergen St.
Enjoy these last weeks of summer and we look forward to seeing you soon.