Happy Valentine’s Day!
This holiday presents a wonderful opportunity for the school community to celebrate love and sharing with each other.
The PTO Wellness Committee, in collaboration with Principal D’Avilar and the Whole Child Network, suggests that we revive the “Healthy Hearts Valentine’s Day” celebration that’s been so enjoyable in past years.
If you are planning to provide treats for children, we kindly ask you to consider non-candy, healthy options that promote good nutrition, as well as fun, love and sharing. And these suggestions apply to any time, any holiday, or any celebration!
Some ideas for healthy treats you can make with the kids in the classroom or bring in include:
* Fruit salads
* Fruit skewers
* Fruit and low-fat yogurt sundaes
* Red or heart-shaped vegetables or fruits (red peppers, watermelon, strawberries, pomegranate seeds and cherry tomatoes)
Some ideas for great non-food treats include:
* Small party-favor-type toys
* Pencils, chalk, crayons or markers
* Temporary tattoos
* Books with Valentine’s Day or love themes
PS 9 is committed to providing a school environment that supports and promotes students’ health, well-being and ability to learn. Thank you for doing your part to make this a reality.
Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy Valentine’s Day!